In some cases you might want to filter out certain data so it is not transferred from one program to another. ConnectMyApps lets you set data filters, which exclude records from being transferred in a workflow according to criteria you set.
For example, if your timesheet software is connected to your payroll software, you may only want timesheets with status ‘Approved’ to be transferred to the payroll app. Using filters, you could exclude all timesheets with status ‘Pending’ or ‘Not approved’ from being transferred.
Filters exclude records that match the criteria you set i.e. when the rule is ‘true’. They are applied to your Source App to filter out the data so it does not flow to your Destination App.
To give another example, if you are synchronizing contact records between your CRM and Accounting apps, you may only want ‘Active Customers’ to be transferred to your Accounting system. Therefore you need to exclude ‘Prospects’ (i.e. sales leads) in your CRM system from being transferred.
To filter out Prospects and only transfer Active Customers, you could set the following filter:
‘Customer Type’ – ‘Does Not Equal’ – ‘Active Customer’
This will filter out (exclude) any records in the Customer Type field which are not tagged as an Active Customer i.e. all Prospects.
It is easy to set data filters in ConnectMyApps. The example below uses 24SevenOffice, a popular ERP system for small businesses, as our Source App.
1. Select the field in your source app to be transferred. In this case we will choose the invoice country.
2. Choose one of the operator statements: ‘Equals/Does Not Equal’, ‘Contains/Does Not Contain’, ‘Is Greater Than/Is Less Than’, or ‘Starts With/Ends With’. In this case we choose ‘Equals’.
3. Select the final condition. In this case we choose to filter out companies with an invoice address in Bermuda.
4. You can add as many filters as required by clicking the green New+ button.
5. You can also type text into some fields by putting speech marks around the text e.g. “text”. For example, you may want to exclude companies with a particular name, in which case you would type “[the company name]” into the last box.
6. Lastly, click Save and you are done!
The ability to set data filters is another tool in ConnectMyApps that lets you customize workflows to suit your specific business processes.